Updated on 17 October 2017
[ This topic needs to be completed. ]
Translation occurs at several levels. In Drupal 8, everything is already in core and just needs to be enabled.
Start by enabling the Language module, then add at least another language.
- Content entity translation: enable the Content Translation module.
- Configuration entity translation (everything that lives in the YAML files) : enable the Configuration Translation module.
- User interface translation (everything that is defined by the t function): enable the Interface Translation module.
The most probable use case is that you want to enable the 4 modules for a fully multilingual website.
Here is the key link to configure your website: /admin/config/regional.
Get clean URL's based on patterns
Use the Pathauto module.
To fix 404 or to handle automatic URL renaming, use the Redirect module.
Choose between decimal or float
When adding a new field, you could have to answer this question for numbers.
This is pretty well explained in this article Decimal, Float or Integer in Drupal Fields?
As a summary:
Float is definitely the most confusing of the number fields.
Here's our simple rule: if you don't know what a floating point number is, you don't need to use the Float field.
So, in most cases, just use Decimal.
Per entity access
The Content Access (still in development for Drupal 8) covers content access per content type with default values and the possibility to override them per content.
Per field access
The Field Permissions module
Private file system
This can be used for file and image fields and should be done prior to any content insertion for this field.
- Edit the sites/default/settings.php file, then uncomment and set this value, preferably outside of the docroot:
$settings['file_private_path'] = '/path/to/site/private-files';
- Cache rebuild
- Go to Configuration > Media > File System (/admin/config/media/file-system) and check the "Private local files served by Drupal." radio at the bottom of the page.
- Configure your field(s) per entity type (Node, User, ...) to use the private file system.
Share configuration between environments
See also the development section about configuration management.
Send mails reliably
- If your website is not based on user registration, uncheck the Configuration > Account settings > Who can register accounts?
- Review if comments are open (they are by default on the Article content type).
- reCAPTCHA (Mollom will be deprecated in April 2018).
Use the Drupal Backup and Migrate module if your hosting provider does not cover this case.
It allows to make backups manually or on schedule.
Administration UI improvement
A list of modules to improve the authoring experience.
If the default search is not sufficient and you need features like facets, autocomplete, ... some modules are achieving this use case: